Vanderbilt Vice Chancellor for Athletics and University Affairs/Athletic Director Candice Storey Lee joins Kennesaw State Chief Operating Officer Tamica Smith Jones at the 2023 NACDA Convention to dive into the story of her journey to the big chair, including the impact her parents and her “military brat” upbringing had on the development of her leadership philosophy. Storey Lee discusses the importance of professional development and executive coaching for first-time ADs as well as the impact former Vanderbilt AD David Williams had on her career trajectory. When breaking down the “art and science” of intercollegiate athletics, Storey Lee identifies the need for high self-awareness, an enterprise-wide perspective and the ability to cultivate strong relationships as key qualities for successful leaders.
The conversation is indexed below for efficient viewing:
- 0:45 - Tell us something about yourself that people wouldn't already know about you.
- 2:58 - Talk about the importance of male mentors on women leaders.
6:32 - How important is it for us to get the skills we'll need to one day sit in the seat? What are those intangible skills that you can learn that would make you a great administrator?
- 9:02 - What have been the challenges of navigating this space as a minority leader? What are some misconceptions we can dispel?
- 11:46 - How can we strengthen some of those areas through executive coaching or professional development?
15:07 - What challenges have you experienced, personally and professionally, with the responsibility you have as AD to move a program forward?
- 17:29 - What projects are you most proud of from your time in the chair thus far?
- 21:03 - What else fills your cup?