Northern Illinois Vice President and Director of Athletics and Recreation Sean Frazier joins ADU’s Steph Garcia Cichosz at 2023 NCAA Convention to reflect on the state of the industry in the wake of a new NCAA President and long-awaited recommendations from the Transformation Committee regarding the student-athlete experience, championship expansion and more. Frazier discusses the sustainability of the funding model for college athletics and the future of Olympic sports, talks about the “competing priorities” on the desk of any Division I AD, explains the “daily maintenance protocol” his department takes regarding DEIB and shares his advice for new President Charlie Baker.
The conversation is indexed below for efficient viewing:
- 0:39 - What is your first take on the recommendations presented by the Transformation Committee?
- 2:50 - As an AD and from your institution's vantage point, what's the first priority for you within these recommendations?
5:04 - What's the next phase for implementing DEI into college athletics?
- 7:12 - Where do you see the industry moving on the issues of money - media rights contracts and revenue generation?
- 9:45 - What's ahead for football?
- 12:28 - How do these changes impact the Olympic sport model?
- 14:44 - What is your advice for incoming NCAA President Charlie Baker?
- 16:55 - What are we getting right these days as an industry?