Ohio Director of Athletics Julie Cromer sits down with former Wingate Director of Athletics Kelley Kish at the 2023 Women Leaders Convention in New Orleans to celebrate the evolution of the Women Leaders brand and reflect on Cromer’s recognition as the Division I FBS Nike Executive Director of the Year, an honor now renamed for longtime Division I administrator and former Penn State Vice President of Intercollegiate Athletics Sandy Barbour. Cromer discusses the impact of co-chairing the NCAA’s Division I Transformation Committee before sharing leadership lessons from her various career stops and offering advice to administrators transitioning into new roles.
The conversation is indexed below for efficient viewing:
- 0:38 - You are the recipient of the Division I FBS Nike Executive of the Year award, an honor that is now going to be named after longtime athletics administrator Sandy Barbour. What does that mean to you?
1:08 - How do you reflect back on this past year as an Executive of the Year honoree?
- 2:01 - What were some of the high points of leading the NCAA's Transformation Committee? What did it feel like to know that you were shaping so many elements of this new era of college athletics?
3:45 - Women Leaders in College Sports recently evolved its brand into Women Leaders in Sports - what does this mean to you and how did it feel being in New Orleans [at Convention] and seeing women from different sectors come together as leaders?
- 5:36 - Can you share a leadership nugget from the various stops in your career?
- 8:41 - What are some leadership tips and tricks to help someone succeed during a career transition?
10:32 - Do you have a timeline in which you expect your department to run entirely on culture you've established?
- 12:52 - What is a book, podcast or leader that you think is a good influence on leaders in our industry?