Jacksonville University Senior Vice President and Athletic Director Alex Ricker-Gilbert sits down with ADU’s Tai M. Brown at the 2023 NACDA Convention to discuss the importance of fit in the hiring process and how to assemble a team to ultimately enhance the student-athlete experience. Ricker-Gilbert reflects on his seven years in the big chair through the lens of hiring and retaining staff, including how his definition of institutional fit has evolved; how he addresses melt in administrators; and how he instills energy and attitude into his team.
The conversation is indexed below for efficient viewing:
- 1:38 - During your seven years as AD, how have you tried to be a value-add to the people you hire? How do you leave them better than when you found them when they arrived?
- 4:04 - Can you instill energy and attitude into a new hire?
5:48 - Has your approach to hiring evolved during your seven years at Jacksonville?
- 7:11 - How do you address issues of fit - specifically, when a great hire is just not the right fit for your department?
- 9:15 - We're seeing more administrators get out of college athletics or fail to get in in the first place - how do you address that issue in terms of the environment you create for your department?
12:15 - Are there challenges you've experienced throughout your tenure that have still proven difficult to address?
- 13:39 - How do you creatively address the challenge of enhancing the student-athlete experience as the pressure to do so has grown over the last few years?