Delaware State Director of Athletics Alecia Shields-Gadson joins ADU’s Tai M. Brown at the 2023 NCAA Convention in San Antonio to dive into issues of access and opportunity for women, particularly women of color, in college athletic leadership. Shields-Gadson opens up about the challenges of displaying vulnerability as a black woman in the industry, how her concept of self-care and balance has evolved throughout her 25 years in the industry and why the MEAC is breaking boundaries with five Black female ADs and a Black female commissioner.
The conversation is indexed below for efficient viewing:
- 1:22 - How has your passion for developing women as leaders manifested itself over the course of your career?
- 4:03 - The MEAC has five Black female ADs as well as a Black female commissioner... how long will it take the rest of the country to catch up?
5:33 - Do you have people who have come under your mentorship that you've seen go on to leadership roles?
- 7:21 - Educate me on the formal and informal programs that seek to increase access and opportunity for women of color.
- 9:59 - How do you show vulnerability as a leader?
- 12:39 - When did you come to the realization that showing vulnerability was necessary?